Love Story 3 column

Friday, October 7, 2011

I Love Candy Corn!



So candy corn might just be the best thing ever made! (Okay, I exaggerate - but after my family, it holds a close second.) It's one of the best things about October.

I wanted Annelise to have a cute top to wear for fall/Halloween, but I'm not crazy about my almost 2 year old wearing witches, skulls, ghosts, etc. A few weeks ago, I made this dress - my 1st attempt with no pattern.


 Once I figured out that dress, I knew I would use the template again, and I thought by eliminating one of the tiers, I could make a cute top. Then I thought the 3 tiers left would be perfect for a little candy corn inspiration.


I found each color in polka dots and on sale Hobby Lobby (of course!). I used about 1/2 yard of the white, and 1/4 yard each of the yellow and orange (I used muslin I already had to line the white section). I might have spent $5 on fabric and another $2 or so on the buttons.

The only change I made from the dress (pictured above) - besides eliminating a tier - was to shorten the yellow and orange tiers. The dress tiers were all 5" long, and the tiers on the top are both about 3 1/2" long.

This is what I thought was my finished top - but I thought it needed a little something extra. So I made 3 little fabric yo-yos to put along the neckline.

So do you love candy corn as much as I do?

(It's a complete coincidence that Annelise picked up the matching duck puppet when I went to photograph her!)

And just in case you thought I was crazy for making a sleeveless top in October - ummm, it's still pretty warm in Houston. If it happens to get cooler, I can always layer a white or yellow tee underneath, or throw a jacket over it.

Now I'm working on her Halloween costume. Hopefully, I'll be able to post it before the end of the month! Until then...

Happy crafting,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment